I'm thrilled to post this interview I did with Richard Bistrong while I was in New York a couple of weeks ago. In it I talk about my journey from a career in film and TV to compliance executive, then we talk about how compliance can use motivation, influence and persuasion to affect the business. In this Q & A, we discuss:
- How compliance is there to help people succeed in their work.
- How to get compliance personnel on “team business” and those on the front-lines on “team compliance.”
- How to understand the difference between “named power” and “covert power,” and how covert power sources can help compliance to get the message to the field.
- How to engage field personnel to embrace that being on “team compliance” is cool!
- How to look at “desk artifacts” and to hear “what’s happening at the water cooler” as the basis for understanding people and to become a trusted source of support.
- How to use the power of vulnerability.
- I believe ultimate goal for a compliance officer is to be more than a friendly policeman. We're here to get those in the busines to understand that compliance is “in this with you.”